Remains of Collapsed Miami Apartment Building Demolished
The part of the collapsed Florida apartment complex that was still standing was demolished Sunday evening (local time). This had to be done because it was feared that this part would collapse otherwise.
Workers are expected to complete the demolition work until about 3 a.m. (9 a.m. GMT), said Miami-Dade County mayor Daniella Levine Cava.
The workers drilled holes in the beams of the complex, into which explosives were then placed. These were detonated in a controlled manner, causing the building to collapse within a limited area. Residents of nearby buildings did not need to be evacuated, the mayor said. However, because of dust build-up, they must stay indoors and turn off their air conditioning.
The death toll from the collapse has now risen to 24. The search for the 121 still missing has been temporarily suspended due to demolition.
The demolition was also rushed because a tropical storm is on its way, which previously passed through the Caribbean as Hurricane Elsa. The tropical storm may hit Florida early this week. Authorities did not want to risk the storm, causing the remaining part to collapse while rescuers were at work.
Once the demolition is complete, rescue work will resume. It is unlikely that any survivors will be found. No one was found alive under the rubble except shortly after the building collapsed.